Friday, March 8, 2013

Best Gluten Free/Vegan Shopping

I have been struggling with not feeling well for years, but since last summer/fall I have been having intense itching, skin eczema and digestive issues.    After much investigation and change of diet, have come to find out it was all due to Food Sensitivity/Intolerence.       Thanks to the amazing skills of my Naturopath, Dr. Carly Wendler (Waterdown Village Chiropractic Group), I now have answers.    I was tested for Celiac Disease and found that while I tested negative (my score was 7.3... 15 is considered to be having Celiac), I do have Gluten Sensitivity which was confirmed by separate food sensitivity tests.    It was found that I have High or Extemely High Intolerence to Wheat, Spelt, Rye, Dairy, Eggs, Garlic & Almonds, with Moderate Intolerence to Corn, Peanuts, Turkey and Barley.   Dr. Carly can be found on-line at www.drcarlywendler.com and she can also be found on Facebook.    I highly recommend her.   
  
Food has become so genetically modified that more and more, people are developing problems with the food they eat which can go on for years undiagnosed.     So much so, that going Gluten Free and Vegan is much easier than it was 5 or 10 years ago.     The government has also seen the significance of people going Gluten Free and have a tax credit for those diagnosed with Celiac Disease or Gluten Intolerence.     More information can be found at
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/tpcs/ncm-tx/rtrn/cmpltng/ddctns/lns300-350/330/clc-eng.html
but I would consult with your accountant or a tax professional about the requirements for receiving this benefit.     From what little I understand about this (I am not a tax expert), it seems like you may qualify to receive money back on the difference of the cost of food that has Gluten and food that is G Free.

I have been exploring many many different new aisles at my local grocery store and finding new specialty shops in order to serve my new dietary concerns.

In Waterdown, I have found that Sobey's and Fortino's have excellent Organic/Gluten Free and other Allergen Free products.     I have been pleasantly surprised at the wonderful selection.    Fortino's even has their dry goods, ready made freezer products, refrigerated food and homeopathic supplements all in the same area to make your shopping easier.     Bulk Barn has a great selection on the south wall of the store of gluten free flours, mixes and other product.    There are even little areas of the grocery sections of Walmart that offer some Gluten Free products.     Anyone with dietary restrictions knows that you need to read your labels.... my new way of shopping now.

Of course, whatever you are looking for that needs to be Gluten Free can be found at Goodness Me (locations in Waterdown, Burlington and Hamilton).      The staff are so helpful there.    Prices are a little more there, but if you are good for comparison shopping, you get to know what store carries what products.     My recommendation would be when you get your list of things to buy from your dietican/naturopth/homeopath or from your own independent study of the internet, I would try Fortino's first, Sobey's second to find out what product they have (look in every aisle, because some things are spread out (like at Sobey's) and then head to Goodness Me to finish off your list.    

I have spent hours researching recipes online, pinterest, and just basically googling Gluten Free etc... and have learned so much.     Tonight, I have just come across another great new outlet store to try out...   El Peto  in Cambridge....   http://www.elpeto.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=40&layout=blog&Itemid=61     I have seen their products carried in the local stores (Fortino's/Bulk Barn) and am curious to check out their outlet store to see if prices are any cheaper.    Maybe it'll be worth the short 25 minute drive to Cambridge.

I do love how accessible Waterdown is.    You can make it to so many major centres within 1/2 an hour to an hours drive.

This is a journey I have just begun... next week I will talk about the local bakeries and restaurants to find gluten free options.

No comments:

Post a Comment