Friday, March 15, 2013

Best Gluten Free Bakeries

Since having the diagnosis of Food Intolerance (Gluten, Casein & Egg mostly) I have been on a quest to find some of the great desserts, cookies and baked goods that I know I am going to miss and need a great healthy replacement for me.   

The first place I tried out was Kelly's Bake Shoppe on Brant Street in Burlington.     I was most interested to go there since they are the ONLY place I have found that are ALL Gluten Free and Vegan (no animal products like eggs and milk).       I tried a great sample of their products... a few cupcakes (all great), the Mile High Brownie (FANTASTIC) and bought a bag of their Gluten Free Croutons (excellent on my gluten free vegan Ceasar Salad I made at home).    Can't wait to go back and try more!



The second place I tried out was You'd Never Know Bakery in Dundas.    Super friendly staff that was excellent about coaching me through some of my options.   The President and Owner Rhonda Barr was there working away and even came over to chat with me.    She helped me pick out some great options and even helped me with advice on buying Gluten Free and dining out.     At Ya'd Never Know, I ended up not purchasing sweets but went more for freezer meals, All Purpose Gluten Free Flour, Pizza Crusts, Hamburger Buns and the MOST incredible prepared chicken breast I've ever had.     I've been on such a bland diet for months now that this amazing marinade had so much flavour it was a little taste of heaven for me.      I hope they have it when I go back, Rhonda had said it was a seasonal option.    It was truly amazing.    There was so much selection there.    Ready made salads, ready made meals, bulk grains like Quinoa Flakes, baked goods, soups and meals for the freezer.    So far I have really enjoyed everything I bought from there.   Rhonda even informed me of the Canadian Governments tax rebate for those with a diagnosis of Celiac or Gluten Intolerance.     I am going to be a regular there for sure.

 -  In Waterdown, the new bakery Beyond the Batter does have a daily gluten free feature and sometimes will have a vegan option as a Baker's Choice.     Each day of the week they offer a different flavour for Gluten Free.    My favourite is Midnight Craving and they offer the Gluten Free option on Tuesdays and Saturdays.  To see a list of the cupcake selections please visit their website   http://www.beyondthebatter.com/Daily-Cupcakes.html        While Beyond the Batter does offer Gluten Free and Vegan options,  they do say on their website "If you are allergic to these ingredients we do not recommend that you consume our products. We do our best to ensure that our Gluten Free and Vegan do not come into contact with any of these allergens, however do not guarantee it."

Also offering Gluten Free cupcakes is Cupids Cupcakes located in the Longo's Plaza at Walker's Line & Dundas.     While offering Gluten Free cupcakes, they do not offer Vegan at all.     Their literature states that they bake Gluten Free on special order and you need to order either a dozen mini's or a half dozen full sized.     I went in one day and asked about what they had Gluten Free and they did have two vanilla and 10 chocolate mini cupcakes in the freezer that they could sell me.     I have frequently bought cupcakes there for the last couple of years and could not tell the difference between their Gluten Free and the regular cupcakes.     When placing the order, you can get any of the icing flavours normally being offered on their daily schedule.   They do require 48 hours notice before pick up to have your GFree cupcakes ready.

More places are offering Gluten Free options so thankfully it is getting easier to find substitutes when trying to stick to a Gluten Free or Vegan diet.


No comments:

Post a Comment