Friday, July 1, 2011

Best People

We've just spent the last two days enjoying the OH Canada Ribfest in Memorial Park Waterdown.   I am just overflowing with pride in my town and country at this moment.   

When we were looking to buy our first house in 2002, I felt a pull to look in Waterdown.   From the time we moved here, I was impressed at the feel of this small bedroom community nestled between commuter cities of Burlington and Hamilton.    The friendliness of everyone from the local grocery store, schools, churches, YMCA, neighbours and local businesses is so different for me.    Having lived in big cities like Hamilton and Toronto, you tend to feel anonymous... you go somewhere and you don't know or recognize anyone.   

Not in Waterdown!   Spend about a year here, get involved in the community and you will never shop at the grocery store and not run into someone you know.

Going to Ribfest totally re-inforced that fact to me.    The countless volunteers who have given their time to plan and staff the 4 day event is mind boggling.   The girl clearing tables tonight of all the garbage with a smile on her face, the friendliness of the people working the VERY busy alcohol tent, the support of local retailers taking out boothes to chat with everyone about the great services offered around Waterdown, and the pride I felt today watching so many turn up to watch new Canadians being sworn in... moving.      My own kids spent time volunteering to entertain rib-goers today... dancing on stage with their dance studio... many other studios will also be performing over the 4 days.

I also thank the organizers of the Ribfest for not only putting on a fantastic and packed event, but for finally bringing fireworks back to Waterdown after a 10 year absense.    It meant so much to me to be able to bring my family to the park to watch the fireworks tonight... I could have cried I was so proud.   There are still 2 more days to get out to Waterdown, enjoy ribfest and meet some great people.

I love this town... great people, great local business, and great small town feel.   Don't ever change!
www.ohcanadaribfest.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment